At the request of my friend Meg, The Snarky Chickpea, I veganized one of my previous vegetarian recipes: the Roasted Lemon and Asparagus Pizza with Homemade Alfredo. It was surprisingly easy and while I was at it I figured I’d throw in a pesto pizza too.
I’d been searching high and low for some of the wedge style daiya vegan cheese and was finally successfully. I’ll have to write a review post on that one of these days because they are amazing, but that is currently beside the point. All I did was shred the block cheese and it melts infinitely better than the shreds I bought in the bag, which seems kind of backwards, but is totally true!
Without further ado the only real difference in the original recipe was how the alfredo was made. I’m going to outline the alfredo and pest and then assemble your pizza as normal (with shredded wedge style daiya), bake and enjoy!!
Vegan Alfredo Sauce:
• 6 tbsp dairy free cream
• 2 tbsp vegan butter spread
• 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
• 1 tbsp wheat flour
• 1 tbsp vegan grated parmesan cheese
• 1 clove garlic
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sautee garlic in butter, season with s/p
2. Add cream, and let warm.
3. Add nutritional yeast and flour until it thickens to taste
4. Add parmesan cheese (will thicken your sauce a little more)
• Makes enough for one personal 8” pizza
• 1 1/2c fresh basil
• 1/4c olive oil
• 1c toasted pine nuts
• 5 cloves garlic
• 1tsp salt
• 1tsp black pepper
• 1/4c vegan grated parmesan
1. Blend all ingredients in a food processor- enjoy!9 comments