I’m home sick today, but it has given me the opportunity to finally get this post up!
Recently my mom approached me and said she would be helping put together a weekend meal for the men at my Dad’s prison outreach program. She followed up with, “And one of them is vegan…anything you could suggest?” Certainly this was the correct choice! I ended up settling on vegan alfredo, egg(less) salad sandwich filling, bbq tofu steaks and a simple Indian chickpea curry with veggies (recipe coming soon!).
It really wasn’t much work and I was more than happy to help out. Additionally it meant I got to show off some of my alfredo sauce I’d been meaning to post about for ages. So, without further adieu see below and enjoy!
Vegan Alfredo Sauce
Takes: About 10 minutes
Keeps: Up to 1 week in an air tight container
What you’ll need:
- 1 package silken tofu
- up to 1/2c diary free milk
- up to 1/2c vegan parmesan cheese (less = healthier)
- 3tbsp vegan butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- fresh parsley*
* Amounts of these items will vary on your tastey taste buds. You make need to experiment a bit to see how you prefer.
What to do:
1. Blend tofu, parmesan cheese, garlic, butter, salt and pepper in a food processor.
2. Put in saucepan and heat on medium adding milk until your preferred consistency.
3. Add chopped parsley after sauce is thoroughly warmed.
4. Put mixture back in blender to smooth out any lumps. Depending on how fickle your blender is you may need to wait until it cools down.
5. Pour over your favorite pasta and enjoy!
Additionally I would suggest adding cajun seasoning to give it a kick, serving with grilled vegetables and spinach pasta. Really the choices are endless!